Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The Plan

I've been reading about Keto.  The people who are into it are really into it.  That probably suggests it works.

Here's a definition for the uninitiated from Authority Nutrition:

The ketogenic diet (often termed keto) is a very low-carb, high-fat diet that shares many similarities with the Atkins and low-carb diets.
It involves drastically reducing carbohydrate intake, and replacing it with fat. The reduction in carbs puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis.
When this happens, your body becomes incredibly efficient at burning fat for energy. It also turns fat into ketones in the liver, which can supply energy for the brain (6, 7).
Ketogenic diets can cause massive reductions in blood sugar and insulin levels. This, along with the increased ketones, has numerous health benefits (6, 8, 9, 10, 11).

Bottom Line: The ketogenic diet (keto) is a low-carb, high-fat diet. It lowers blood sugar and insulin levels, and shifts the body’s metabolism away from carbs and towards fat and ketones.


I'm a little intimidated though.  So I thought I'd step back to start.  My objective is to remove as much added sugar from my diet as possible.  I've learned that sugar hijacks my sense of hunger, so the less I can eat the better.  I'm going to work hard at reducing carbs.  I'm not ready to entirely remove them from my diet, but I'll stick with things that are a little healthier and limit my intake.  I'm going to learn as many Keto recipes as I can and try to incorporate them into my diet.  Hopefully, I'll get comfortable enough with the food to make the plunge.

I've got to start somewhere, and I'm not ready for what seems like a complete lifestyle change.  I think my plan will be a good start.  I've got a meal plan set up for the week.  I'm hoping to reasonably sure I can going to stick with it.

2 comments:

  1. If you're still open to researching alternative diets, I urge you to poke around NutritionFacts: http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/weight-loss , especially on the topics of low-carb diets. The overeaters in my life have found success in diets of abundance instead of restriction: eating as many fruits & veggies as they can (which are inherently nutrient-dense and low-calorie), so they feel full all the time. It makes it easier to say no to sugar and junk food, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that term, diets of abundance. That's definitely been my problem. There's a psychological block for me and scarcity. Don't know why. I've never had a point in my life where food hasn't been available.

      Delete