Monday, March 26, 2012

Weigh-In Results

Happy Monday everyone!

Let me start by telling you that I had my ass thoroughly TurboKicked tonight.  My wife, Claire, and I just joined the Y because they offer a ton of classes where our neighborhood Snap Fitness does not.

So what is TurboKick?  Watch this video and you'll understand.



Turbo Kick is an hour-long class where something happens.  I'm not exactly sure what that something is because I was really confused most of the time.  Everyone else seemed to be moving together while I clumsily tried to imitate them from the back row.  It seems to be a cross between dancing and kickboxing.  They say it takes four to five classes to really catch on to all the moves, but I think it might take a little longer for me.  Some friends and I wrote a musical in college for our school's film festival and I played the lead.  We did one dance number and my friends likened teaching me to dance to teaching a horse to talk.

I'm the robot.


So back to TurboKick.  Here's what our Y's website says about it:

It’s high energy and the hottest exercise class around! This ultimate cardiovascular challenge mixes aerobics with martial arts in easy-to-follow combinations.

A Typical Class

Turbo Kick® is an interval based, full body workout that begins with a sports-specific warm-up. High-paced intervals follow with kickboxing-specific strength/endurance training sequences and easy-to-follow combinations. Class ends with a mind/body-like (think Tai-Chi) cool-down.

Outcomes/Benefits

  • Improves heart and lung health
  • Strengthens muscles and bones, reduces risk of osteoporosis
  • Improves posture, coordination, agility and flexibility
  • Stimulates your brain
  • Improves energy
  • Promotes weight loss
My biggest insecurity with the class was I was one of only three men in a class of about 40 people.  I'm a teacher, which is a profession dominated by women (especially in the younger grades) so I'm not uncomfortable around women.  I just feel like I could let my guard down a little in a class with more men in it.  It's the same reason I wasn't really into Weight Watchers meetings. 

Bottom line, the hour went by pretty quickly and it worked me hard.  It's impossible to argue with the great exercise I got.  I'll be going back to this class.

Now, for what all three of you who read my blog are waiting -or should I say weighting? (no, I shouldn't)-for: My weigh-in results.

260.4.  This is a little less than a 1 pound gain from last week, but I'm chocking that up to weighing myself after dinner instead of before.  Or the two slutty brownies I had this week.  Seriously, whatever you do, do not make these.  I take it back.  If you are chronically underweight and you need to take in huge amounts of calories to bring your body weight up (then you probably wouldn't be reading my blog) then go nuts.  Otherwise, consider them a loaded gun.

I'm very optimistic about what I'll be able to accomplish in the coming months.  My goal for next week is to get into the 250s. 

1 comment:

  1. God, how I know what it's like to be pushing a barrier...

    "Just a little more... just a little more..."

    Of course, we all know that that "little more" is actually, in reality, quite a bit of work.

    ReplyDelete