Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wishing

I still do things like hold my breath when I go through a tunnel so I can make a wish.  I'll make wishes other places too.  When I see the first star at night, when I blow out candles on my birthday cake, and even every now and then when the clock says 11:11.  Depending on my mood I'll wish for one of a few things: a teaching job, a good weigh-in, to live a long, happy life, etc.



I realized I wish for things that I think are out of my hands.  Some of the things I wish for are more out of my control than others.  I can't control how many music teaching positions are open for me to apply to.  I can control some factors, but I can't really control how long I live (although I can control how happy I am). 

I've been clumping my weight in with things that are mostly out of my control.  Somewhere deep down I must believe that I really have no control over my weight when, in fact, the one thing that is entirely in my hands is how my weigh-in turns out.  Yes, sometimes things get in the way, but I am ultimately the one responsible for my health.  I need to completely accept that and I will be a better person for it.

It's time to stop wishing and start working.  And if I do allow myself the occasional wish for weight loss after blowing out the candles on my birthday cake, I'd better not eat the whole damn thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment