Thursday, January 19, 2017

Tangent Thursday: Speakers

So my parents are awesome.  For Christmas they got me a kit to build a set of speakers known as the Overnight Sensations

They came in a box with most of the components I needed.  Cabinet, woofers, tweeters, and crossover parts.

Image result for overnight sensations speakers

I started by putting the wood cabinets together.  It felt like building a birdhouse.

 After building the cabinets, I wired the crossovers.  This part was confusing and took a lot of time and concentration.

The crossovers are the guts of the speaker.  They split the signal from the receiver into high and low and send them to the woofer and the tweeter.  I followed a diagram I found online.

The next step was to treat the wood.  I don't have any pictures of me doing this, but I used Minwax wipe-on poly.  I put on four coats and the speakers really came out looking nice.  The word Claire used was classic.


Next I installed the sound ports.  These are plastic tubes that go in the back of the speakers so air can escape in a controlled way.  In this picture the glue is drying.  Next I had to screw them in the backs.

You can also see the binding posts in this picture.  I drilled holes 3/4" apart for them.  It's where the speaker wire will connect.

Everything coming together.  Testing the connections before I solder the woofer and tweeter in place.

And finished (almost)!  I still need to add poly-fil, secure my crossovers, and glue the fronts on.  For now though, they sound pretty good!


No comments:

Post a Comment