Thursday, August 12, 2010

Just Say "Nein"

So I think I have this shin problem in the bag.  It seems to respond the best to heat.  I've also been exercising more and I think that's actually improving the situation.   My legs did not like it when I stopped exercising for a week and a half. 

One thing I've been doing that seems to have served me pretty well on my weight-loss journey is cutting out alcohol almost completely.  For me, it's not worth it to have just one beer.  While I do miss the delicious taste of a nice, snobby microbrew, I don't feel any effects of alcoholic beverages until beer number 2 or 3.  Every now and then, I'll have a beer just to have a beer, but it seems to be the easiest thing for me to turn down out of my own volition.  Food on the other hand, is just about impossible to say no to if someone is offering.  I wish I could do the same thing I do when my father-in-law offers me a beer that I do when a coworker offers me a brownie, say "no thanks" and feel absolutely no remorse. 



Alcohol is very bad for your body when you are trying to lose weight.  I read a while back that when you exercise after consuming alcohol, your body is dehydrated and metabolizes muscle instead of fat.  So not only is your caloric intake absolutely ludicrous (yes, alcohol has calories, and lots of 'em), but you can't burn fat nearly as efficiently the next day.

So the next time someone asks me if I want an Oktoberfest or Maibock, I think I'll just say "nein."

5 comments:

  1. What? Just say no to alcohol? For realz?
    *hides her beer behind the couch*
    That's pretty hard core. You must be SERIOUS about this weight loss stuff!
    You've got more balls than me.
    (Well, I mean you really do, but that literal stuff...that's besides the point...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While reading your post I couldn't help but think of a status update I read yesterday, it said
    "I read once that alcohol is bad for you, that was the day I stopped reading" ;-).

    So in agreement with you, it really is a waste of calories but I do enjoy a glass of wine once or twice a week.. I actually have a head band that says "will run for wine" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll waste some calories on a good glass of wine any day. But not every day. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No to mention alcohol makes me crave junk the next day. All I want is a bag of chips!

    But, it's still difficult for me to say no. I'm finding that the more I don't get to sleep in, the more I'm not going out and drinking with friends. Which is probably a good thing, but I miss sleeping in (not to mention any good classes at the gym are done before 10am!).

    Lately I've been eating smaller dinners, and I've noticed a change in my tolerance-it's a dangerous slope to go back to being a lightweight (Especially if you don't realize it until its too late!)

    :) Keep working hard! (and are we going to see some new measurements soon??? These micro losses might be explained better with measurements..)

    ReplyDelete
  5. More measurements!

    ReplyDelete