Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I feel fat.

I feel like the weight isn't really coming off. I feel like I'm just chronicling my day-to-day weight fluctuations. Yes, I'm feeling better by going to the gym. But I can spin my wheels all I want without dropping any substantial weight without dealing with the 800 pound gorilla in the room, my diet.

It's not like I eat that poorly. I cook for my wife and myself. I try to do everything to limit my fat intake. I substitute turkey for hamburger a lot. I rinse the fat out of hamburger I brown. I drink diet sodas and try to eat low-fat foods in general.

The real problem with my food intake lies in two places:
1. Portion control. I get soooooo hungry and eat soooooo much once I'm done cooking.
2. Snacking. I love to eat snacks. Snack's give me the energy to get through the day if I'm tired or stressed. I love Oreos, I love Junior Mints, I love popcorn, I love ice cream Snickers bars, I love caramel, I love potato chips, I love everything that's bad for me.

So what am I going to do about this? I need help dealing with my eating, but I don't know what to do about it. I've tried Weight Watchers, but I've had trouble sticking with it. And, quite frankly, I don't want to pay that much money for a set of weight and calorie tracking tools I'm going to abandon in a couple months or, more likely, weeks. I've also tried to just be mindful of my intake. I'm absolutely terrible at this. I can't do it. After a little bit, I just give up and gorge. No matter how resolved I am to restrict my intake, my cravings win in the end.

This eats me up (pardon the pun). I feel so helpless and entirely out of control. I don't know what to do next.

On a final note, my weigh in today made me decide to only weigh myself once a week. I fluctuate too much to benefit from daily weigh-ins. It's so disheartening to weigh more than I did five days ago. I need to be able to see progress.

I need to go gung-ho for a week. I don't know if I can do it with all the holiday eating coming up. I may just be able to tread water...

AHH... This is what I'm talking about! I gave up before I started. I am such a self-handicapper. Starting Monday, I will not weigh myself until the following Monday. I will eat as healthy as I know how. And I will put as much time in at the gym as possible. Let's see how much I can loose in a week.

Weight: 294.5
Pounds Left: 98.5
Days Left: 354

2 comments:

  1. I read somewhere that your metabolism is kicked up for about an hour after working out, meaning you're going to burn the calories you eat faster just after a work out. I know personally I get so hungry after working out, I try to work out right after work and then eat dinner.

    You also may want to try this--eat something small and high protein/high fiber, like a handful of nuts, about 20 minutes before eating a meal. It takes your body about 15 minutes to process that you've eaten some food and that you're not longer hungry. You'll feel full much faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quit restricting! Focus on packing your diet with all the good foods that you love (or at least like). Eat protein at every meal (not tons of it - but make sure it's there!). PLAN for snacks, don't let yourself get so hungry that food "happens" to you. You can do this!!

    ReplyDelete