Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Busy Busy Busy

This week I have been Busy with a capital B and that rhymes with T and that stands for trouble.  Harold hill (or at least my strange paraphrasing of the song "Trouble" from The Music Man) got it right on that count.  Being overly busy can really get in the way of attempts to lose weight. 

Today, for instance, we bought a car.  On the way we stopped and had Dairy Queen.  I know we could have done better, but DQ was there and we didn't have time do do much else.  Did I go over on my calories today?  You bet I did.  600 calories over what I wanted.  I'm still confident because I know how much I went over.  I also know that I biked to work and back today, burning somewhere in the ballpark of 550-800 calories (depending on which exercise calculator I use).  If I had it to do over, I'd probably go to a different restaurant but it's in the past now.  It's up to me to make good decisions in the future.  Not to agonize over a meal that's already been eaten.  I was plenty upset with my lack of self control when I weighed 313 pounds.  It took time, but I learned that self-hating didn't get me anywhere I wanted to be.  Hard work and good choices did.

So what have I done to keep focused even though I've been busy this week?  I've been using Calorie Counter by fatsecret.com on my Android phone to keep track of my calories.  It's much easier than hauling my languorous posterior to a computer and punching all the information in.  Here's the QR code if you're tech savvy.


The bicycle commute has really helped too.  Sure I add 20 extra minutes to my commute, but I add 80 extra minutes of cardio a day.  That's a big win in my book.  It's like going to the bank and handing the teller a $20 bill and them giving you $80 back as change.  My only complaint is if it gets any colder my ears may fall off.

4 comments:

  1. hey!! you have a wonderful blog. thanks for sharing your weight lost progress here. keep it up and never give up. you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Head band or ear muffs.

    Nice work on the commuting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I tried Calorie Counter, but I've been really loving SparkPeople. That way, I can update on both my phone and my laptop...

    And I've got to say that I'm really impressed that you've been riding your bike so much. That's really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay- How many times did I tell you to use a tracker on your awesome phone!!!! :D It's totally awesome isn't it!!

    Don't let your fear of losing your ears stop you from biking! They grow back anyways..right? Invest in a headband-that way you'll still have wind-swept hair ;)

    Keep working at it! Busy is tough, but that just challenges your determination.

    ReplyDelete