Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Sugar Free Dinner

Look what I made!


I'll call this Southwest Chicken Salad.  It's pulled chicken, jalepenos, onions, cilantro, lime juice, and some other stuff.  It's supposed to be wrapped in romain lettuce and served with avacados, but I didn't have any ripe avacados at the time, so I served it over spring mix. 

It was so good!  So good.  Claire said it was better than Chipotle.

It took a lot of time to get everything together.  The recipe said 15 minutes of prep and 15 minutes cooking.  It took me about an hour.  I'm sure part of it was I hadn't done it before and didn't time it right, but I know to double whatever times my cookbooks give in the future. 

The recipe called for homemade mayonaise, but I just subbed regular mayo (yeah, I know there's not great stuff in there, but I'm not a purist).  The one mistake I made is the recipe called for two jalepenos.  I had giant jalepenos.  I should have just used one.  But I used two, and while delicious, it sure made our eyes water.  The next day the flavors mingled a little more and it lost a lot of its heat.  This also made a lot.  We got two days of lunches out of this in addition to dinner, so six meals isn't bad.  I may double or triple this and freeze it in the future.

One word of warning:  Wear gloves when cutting jalepenos!  My fingers stung for a full day after making this.

Update: I added cayenne pepper instead of cumin.  That's why it burned my face off.





No comments:

Post a Comment