Thursday, March 18, 2010

Parent-Teacher Conferences

Sorry there was no St. Patrick's Day post.  I avoided temptation completely by spending my free time between the Sprint store, choir practice, and working on grades.  If you're new to the blog, I'm an elementary music teacher.  Parent-teacher conferences are today and I'm writing this during a break between students.

When I was a kid, I thought parent-teacher conferences were great (unless my grades were bad, then I'd get yelled at once we got in the car).  You go, spend half an hour talking with your teachers, then stop at Dairy Queen on the way home.  There was a novelty to it.  I'm a sucker for novelty.

Speaking of Dairy Queen (see what I did there?), I'd like to share a story with you.  A couple years ago, Claire and I were on our way up to the cabin.  We decided to stop for lunch at Dairy Queen.  As we were pulling into the parking lot, I noticed that this wasn't a regular DQ, but one that only served a couple hot food items and ice cream.  I was unreasonably upset.  I had my sights set on a flamethrower burger basket and that wasn't on the menu.  I was so afraid of being hungry then.  So afraid that I nearly threw a temper tantrum because I couldn't get a flamethrower bacon cheeseburger.  Food is such a primal thing.  It stresses us out so much when if we're afraid we won't be able to eat.

Since then, I've learned how to be hungry.  I'd like to think I've gotten better at dealing when I don't get what I want.  Although I still get upset when I'm really looking forward to something and don't get my way, but I try not to show it. 

This is just one example of my unhealthy history with food.  When has food stressed you out to the point of a meltdown?

6 comments:

  1. Funny, I wrote roughly about the same thing today. It is strange how you let things control your happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice segue. I can't think of a food meltdown by ME but I did work at a fast food restaurant for three summers. I learned that people do many things that are stupid, rude, etc when they are hungry.

    I like the blog - keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this insight, Andrew. I love reading things like this. Good stuff. I'm glad you're passed that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh, good post. Congrats on no longer letting food control you. Been there, done that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbuck's. Seriously, They are the best drinks that my taste buds have ever tasted -- then one day the Starbuck's we go to on Saturdays no longer had them..........It through me off, out of whack, made me crazy. I was sad. It's my reward for the week and they took it away.

    I'm okay now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is an embarrassing thing to be sharing with the blog world but.... when my blood sugar gets low I crash very quickly and would throw tantrums... literal tantrums like kicking and crying and whining. This happened until... about junior year when I finally was able to sort of estimate when I would be hungry. Like.... 'I'm not hungry now but should definitely eat within the next hour and a half'. Then I would be able to A) not throw a tantrum B) not make Colin mad and stressed and C) be able to take the time to pick something that wasn't fast food or junk food.

    PS I Also love parent teacher conferences.

    ReplyDelete