Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year, New Blogger (Plus Weigh-In Results)

Happy Monday!  If you're here for the weigh-in, we'll get to that in a little bit.  First I'd like to talk about some changes to the blog.

My amazing wife, Claire, has agreed to be a weekly guest-blogger this year.  Why?  You might ask.  I'll let her answer that.

This year I have decided to get serious about weight loss.  When Andrew started this blog a little over a year ago, I was not capable of being a full participant on his journey.  I was in my first semester of law school, had just lost my best friend and was adjusting to married life and a new city.  While I encouraged Andrew, I really just was able to do the bare minimum for myself.  I exercised when I could and tried to eat healthy. I gained and lost weight, but essentially my weight and waist remained static.
 
This year I am in a much different head-space.  I have the whole law school-thing (basically) figured out, have settled into the city and married life, and I'm generally more self-confident.  I, too, am ready to begin my weight-loss journey.

I do not have as much weight to lose as Andrew.  I don't mean to be inconsiderate.  I can (should?) lose some weight and some inches; and that is exactly what I plan to do.  I will be blogging once a week to share my experiences from a female perspective, but I won't be sharing any starting numbers.  I will share my progress, but some things are better left to the imagination.

Claire will be writing a guest-post each Thursday so you only have to wait a few days to hear from her again.  I'm so happy she's joining me.  It's going to make it much easier to stick to a plan if both of us are fully on board.

As I promised, I have a weigh-in number for you.






I'm not going to pretend I'm not disappointed by this week's weigh-in, but it's not unexpected either.  I've been incredibly sedentary for the last two weeks and it shows.  Lots of driving, sitting, christmas cookies, eating out, etc. are some of the culprits.  The scale has been moving in an upward direction for a while now, but this reading marks the end of the upward trend.  I'm back in the saddle and today marked the first day of my three weeks of going to the gym every day.  Since I started my blog, the single most productive thing I did for myself was exercising every day.

I've got a new lease on life (or at least remembered an old one).  And I'm not the only one. Claire and a few commenters on my blog let me know they are with me.  I'm going to officially challenge you.  Can you exercise every day for 21 days?  No excuses.  Just make it to the gym (or whatever exercise you have available to you.  Who's with me?

5 comments:

  1. Ugh. I need a kick in the pants. I'm IN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started the year off with a cold :( .

    Once it's gone, I'm totally in!! I too enjoyed a lot of cookies for the entire month of December. I'm glad Claire is going to be writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a challenge like this. I'm in. I started yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in! I need that new habit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3rd day in a row! I'm not sure where I should post my streak.. anyway, congrats on getting your partner on board! I only wish my SO (significant other) would jump in!!! I'lll expecting her new post.
    Keep the good work coming!

    ReplyDelete