Monday, January 11, 2010

Am I Obsessing?

I made it to the gym for the 7th day in a row last night.  Two more weeks to go until I can go back to going 4 or 5 days a week.  Other than a slight pain in my knee, I feel great.  I'm having some kind of mental block with my push-ups.  Every time I get to my 15th push-up, I immediately fall on the floor.  I've got plenty of juice left in my arms, but my brain won't let me go on. 

I'm hoping my knees will keep up with me.  I've been told that the best thing for my knees is to lose a lot of weight, but how do I do that if I can't exercise.  I'm not going to use it as an excuse.  I'm going to lose the weight.

My brain keeps running in circles and I'm obsessing about my weigh-in tonight.  What if I haven't lost any weight?  What if I haven't lost enough weight to stay motivated?  What if I GAINED weight?  I've been trying to calm myself down.  I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.  But especially with this blog, I'm constantly thinking about my weight.  I just need to keep from psyching myself out and focus on living a healthy lifestyle. 

Any advice?

5 comments:

  1. If you have a pool at your gym that is a good way to excersize without knee strain.

    Also, doing leg extensions and leg curls will strengthen the muscles around your knees and make them less sore. I used to have knee problems all the time in wrestling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom told me the other day (when I was stressing about not getting to the gym or not eating healthy or something) that it's all about one mantra: "good, better, best". some days are good days, some days are better, and some are the best days. some days you only get to the gym for 10 minutes and other days you eat salads and burn 1000 calories, etc etc. Keeping perspective through this mantra might help your 'obsession' with weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tralle,

    Having had a torn acl and required knee surgery I have to say that the bike and elliptical are great for knee strength. I also used a bosu ball a decent amount.

    -Victor B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes over stressing your knee can cause the pain. I don't think going to the gym 7 days a week is good for your body (your knee) and it'll eventually be a little too much. I know you're doing it for a short time, but too much can be just that. If you still feel the knee pain and are determined to keep going, switch to an elliptical until it gets better. I get aches sometimes by running on the treadmill too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Andrew! I've been to the gym three days straight and 7 of the last 10. We are on a roll!

    I have also struggled with knee pain off and on for years. One thing that I ALWAYS do Every day, weather I am going to the gym or not, is stretch out my knees. Just gently pull your foot back and try and hit your ass. If I don't do this every day the muscles and ligaments around my knee get out of whack and my knee is sore. Also, make sure you aren't stressing your knee every workout if you are going every day (every day is a lot to ask, your body needs to recover). Try and exercise your upper body every other day. Just my thoughts. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete