Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Calorie Counting and 100 Push-Ups

Yesterday morning, I spent about half an hour on the phone with the CEO of the website papayahead.com, a new calorie counting and meal planning website.  We talked about the website and features that will roll out shortly.  It looks like a great site and will only get better.  I'll be signing up for an account in the near future, so I'm sure I'll write more about it in time.

Yesterday's 100 push-ups challenge was rough.  I maxed out at 31 push-ups on Saturday, which meant I started on the third week instead of the first.  I also started in the most extreme column.  Here are the number of reps it asked me to do.

14
18
14
14
Max (at least 20)

Everything went fine until I got to the at least 20 part.  I did 9.  I think I need to readjust.  It really kicked my butt though.  Today I woke up feeling like I got hit by a truck.  I guess it's good that I'm sore.  I know I'm pushing myself and building muscle.  It also occurred to me that I'm doing considerably more work in a push-up than a thinner person, which is why I may need to modify this plan slightly.

I've only got 5 more visits to the gym before I will have gone for 3 weeks straight.  My body is telling me it's time for a rest day.  It's hard to argue with results though.  I don't want to get burned out on exercise yet.

I feel that I'll stay motivated to exercise as long as I'm losing weight.  When I start to plateau, I fear the worst.  I'm afraid I'll get frustrated and drift away from my blog and my goal.  That's what happened with WeightWatchers a couple years ago.  It's not going to happen again.

3 comments:

  1. I'm afraid of what will happen when I plateau, too. I'm really giving a lot of thought to how I can push through it. I think I'll need to change up my routine, whatever it is, to get things going again. I'm thinking challenges like the "100 Push-Ups" are probably a good way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the plateauing...
    I read that people who plan on obstacles are more likely to succeed. I read it in REAL SIMPLE; they had an article on the 9 things motivated people do..or something like that.

    Sooo, if you tell yourself that you will plateau and create a plan to break through it, you are more likely to either not plateau, or not plateau for as long as you would without a plan. :) And you're less likely to be upset about it when it happens.

    When it does happen, just change up what you are doing and know that it took years to gain the weight, it might take years to lose it. Your body is still thankful that you are trying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a long way from a plateau I hope, but when I do I will decrease my calroies, or increase my time in thr gym. I have seen people basically doing the same thing and only lose 1 lb a week for 4 weeks straight and then all of the sudden its 6 lbs. I think the body has an amazing way of adapting.

    Follow mt journey from the beggining.
    www.170lbstogo.com
    "I Hate Green Apples"

    Tom

    ReplyDelete