Thursday, January 28, 2010

Blog of the Week

As I continue to blog about weight loss, I'm discovering a whole community of weight loss blogs very much like my own.  We're all at different points in our weight loss journeys, but at this stage (a little under 1/5th of the way to my goal), it means I have a lot of people to look up to.  I Last week I started awarding "blog of the week" to weight loss blogs that I read and enjoy.  Last week's winner was Jack Sh*t, Gettin' Fit.  He posts almost every day and is very entertaining.  I'll get to this week's blog of the week at the end of the post.  But first, a few thoughts on nutrition.

I've been getting into the Daily Plate from Livestrong.  Today I inputted all the food I had eaten through lunch today and everything seemed right on the money.  I'd consumed 55% of my allotted calories for the day, 54% of my recommended fat intake, 54% carbs, 67% fiber, and 75% protein, which is a little high, but that's okay.  Then I saw my sugar intake.  147%.  Holy crap!  I'm still trying to figure out where I went wrong.  Special K Red Berries with milk for breakfast, 23 grams of sugars (lactose is a sugar too).  I had an almond yogurt bar and a couple Special K bars for a mid-morning snack, 32 grams of sugars.  Then I had a banana and some reheated spaghetti with some meat sauce, 27 grams of sugars.

I totalled 81 grams of sugar in the first half of my day today.  147%.  I need to figure out how to avoid this in the future.  Maybe I'll switch to a different breakfast.  Maybe I'll change what snacks I'm bringing to work.  How healthy are bananas?  Should I be eating a different fruit?  Let me know what you think.

I've also been reading a lot about the connection between caffeine and weight loss.  I think I'll quit drinking pop once I get through the case of Diet Coke in my apartment.  I'll write about this in more depth later on.

I'm headed to a fondue party tonight.  I'm a little nervous about it as everything I'll be having for dinner will be deep fried.  I'll try to keep my portions reasonable and I should be fine.

Finally, Blog of the Week goes to Fat Girl 2 Fit Girl.  She's nearing her goal and is a very good read.  There's a lot of variety in her posts.  I especially liked the article she wrote about swimming in the morning.

I have my own morning swimming story, but it will have to wait for another post as I have run out of time.  Be healthy and happy.

2 comments:

  1. Special K is LOADED with Sugar. Eat cheerios-fiber, grains and very low sugar.

    Otherwise fruit in the morning helps me to perk up with a natural sugar that our bodies can easily break down. Unfortunately processed sugar is a double whammy because of all the work it goes through to break down-our bodies would rather store it.

    ReplyDelete